Who can be a referee?
Posted by CitizenCard on 13 March 2019 12:37 PM

All CitizenCard applicants need to provide a suitable referee, who needs to confirm their identity.

A referee must not:

  • be related to the applicant by birth or marriage, neither should they be in a personal relationship together nor live at the same address
  • be retired or unemployed
  • be self employed or working from a home/residential address.

The referee must be over the age of 25, in full time employment and be contactable at their place of work on their landline number (a non-mobile phone) during standard office hours at their registered business address.

Your chosen referee needs to countersign your passport quality photograph, your application and if you choose Route 1 other documentation listed below. 

The referee must be one of the following:

Route 1 referees

Route 1 referees are professionals, who can countersign a copy of an official document confirming your identity as being true to the original.

If the referee knows you personally the countersigned document confirming your identity can be one of the following:

  • birth certificate
  • certified copy of a birth certificate
  • NHS Medical Card
  • CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) Check document
  • European Health Insurance Card.

The following photographic ID can be used whether the referee knows you or not:

  • passport 
  • UK photo driving licence
  • EU National ID Card
  • Home Office approved photo ID
  • PASS card (bearing the PASS hologram).

Please take an original document confirming your identity to your referee, ask them to countersign a photocopy of it and post the countersigned photocopy to us together with your CitizenCard application and countersigned photo.

If you have changed your name since birth, please show the original marriage certificate(s) or change of name deed(s) to your referee, ask them to countersign the photocopies and then send the countersigned photocopies to us together with the above.

Please do not send original documentation - we need only the countersigned copies.

Permitted list of referees for Route 1 process (referee countersigning the copy of an official document confirming your identity):

  • Accountant
  • Airline Pilot
  • Articled Clerk of a Limited Company
  • Bank / Building Society Official
  • Barrister
  • British Computer Society (BCS) - Professional grades which are Associate (AMBCS), Member (MBCS), Fellow (FBCS) (PN 25/2003)
  • Chairman / Director of a Limited Company
  • Chemist
  • Chiropodist
  • Commissioner of Oaths / Notary
  • Councilor (County / Local)
  • Civil Servant (permanent)
  • Dentist
  • Designated Premises Supervisor
  • Director / Manager of a VAT registered Charity
  • Director / Manager / Personnel Officer of a VAT registered Company
  • Doctor
  • Engineer (qualified to a Degree in Engineering)
  • Estate Agent
  • Financial Services Intermediary (e.g. stockbroker or insurance broker)
  • Fire Service Official
  • Funeral Director
  • Immigration Adviser (regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner)
  • Insurance Agent of a recognised Company (permanent)
  • Journalist
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Legal Secretary (members and fellows of the Institute of legal secretaries)
  • Local Government Officer
  • Manager / Personnel Officer (of a Limited Company)
  • Member of Parliament
  • Merchant Navy officer
  • Minister of a recognised religion
  • Nurse / Midwife (RGN and RMN)
  • Officer of the armed services
  • Optician
  • Person with honours (e.g. OBE MBE etc.)
  • Personal License Holder (of recognised Company)
  • Police Officer
  • Post Office Official
  • Pharmacist
  • President / Secretary of a recognised Company
  • Prison / Probation officer
  • Salvation Army Officer
  • Social Worker
  • Solicitor
  • Surveyor
  • Teacher / Lecturer (do not use during academic holidays as they must be contactable at their place of work)
  • Trade Union Senior Official
  • Travel Agent (qualified)
  • Valuer / Auctioneer
  • Vet

Route 2 referees

Route 2 referees are professionals, who know you and can confirm your details against their official records held at their place of work.

Permitted list of referees for Route 2 process (matching details against their official records):

  • Your Doctor / Dentist / Nurse / Administrator at Your GP / Dental Surgery
  • Your Teacher / Tutor / Head of Year / Administrator at Your School / College / University
    (do not use during academic holidays as they must be contactable at their place of work)
  • Your Social Worker
  • Your Certified Solicitor
  • a Bank / Building Society staff member at Your branch
  • Your Prison or Probation Officer
  • Your Jobcentre Plus work coach
  • if You are employed with any of the above Route 2 referees, they can verify your identity from their personnel records
  • if You are employed by a Local Authority, your employer can verify your identity from their personnel records

Copyright © 2019 CitizenCard

Cookie & Privacy Policy

CitizenCard logo


Help Desk Software by Kayako