What happens if my card has expired or has been lost, stolen or damaged ?
Posted by CitizenCard on 01 January 2024 12:34 AM

If you apply for a CitizenCard and we issue you with an ID card it remains our legal property. You have the right, as the lawful cardholder, to use the card for the purpose of proving your age and identity.

You must at all times keep the card safe and minimise the possibility of it being lost, stolen or damaged. If your photo ID is mislaid you should endeavour to find it.

If your CitizenCard is lost or stolen or damaged, then you can obtain a Replacement card at a cost of £14. Your Replacement card will be issued within 21 working days, but if you need your ID card urgently (within 1-2 working days) the cost is £29.

You can also replace your CitizenCard if your card has expired (all CitizenCards printed from 7th January 2021 onwards expire 3 years after issuing) or your name has changed since your previous card was issued or if you wish to get "next" age band card, because you turned 16 or 18.

To apply for Replacement ID card please go to www.citizencard.com/card-replacement.








Copyright © 2024 CitizenCard

Cookie & Privacy Policy

CitizenCard logo


Help Desk Software by Kayako