Who can be a referee?
Posted by CitizenCard on 23 November 2015 03:37 PM

A referee must not:

1) be related to the applicant by birth or marriage, neither should they be in a personal relationship together nor live at the same address.

2) be retired or unemployed

3) be self employed or working from home/residential address

The referee must be at least 25 years old, in full time employment and must be available to be contacted at their place of work on a non-mobile work phone number during office hours at a registered business address.

The referee must be one of the following:

Route 1 referees

Route 1 referees are professionals, who can countersign a copy of your ID as being true to the original.

If the referee knows you personally the countersigned ID can be one of the following:

  • birth certificate
  • certified copy of a birth certificate
  • NHS Medical Card
  • CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) Check document
  • European Health Insurance Card

The following photographic ID can be used whether the referee knows you or not:

  • passport 
  • photo driving licence
  • EU National ID Card
  • Home Office approved photo ID
  • PASS card (bearing the PASS hologram)

Permitted list of referees for Route 1 process (referee countersigning the copy of ID):

  • Accountant
  • Airline Pilot
  • Articled Clerk of a Limited Company
  • Bank / Building society official
  • Barrister
  • British Computer Society (BCS) - Professional grades which are Associate (AMBCS), Member (MBCS), Fellow (FBCS) (PN 25/2003)
  • Chairman / Director of a Limited Company
  • Chemist
  • Chiropodist
  • Commissioner of Oaths / Notary
  • Councilor (County / Local)
  • Civil Servant (permanent)
  • Dentist
  • Designated Premises Supervisors
  • Director / Manager of a VAT registered Charity
  • Director / Manager / Personnel Officer of a VAT registered Company
  • Doctor
  • Engineer (qualified to a Degree in Engineering)
  • Financial services intermediary (e.g. stockbroker or insurance broker)
  • Fire service official
  • Funeral director
  • Immigration adviser
  • Insurance agent of a recognised Company (permanent)
  • Journalist
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Legal secretary (members and fellows of the Institute of legal secretaries)
  • Local government officer
  • Manager / Personnel Officer (of a Limited Company)
  • Member of Parliament
  • Merchant Navy officer
  • Minister of a recognised religion
  • Nurse / Midwife (RGN and RMN)
  • Officer of the armed services
  • Optician
  • Person with honours (e.g. OBE MBE etc.)
  • Personal License Holder (of recognised Company)
  • Police officer
  • Post office official
  • Pharmacist
  • President / Secretary of a recognised Company
  • Prison / probation officer
  • Salvation army officer
  • Social Worker
  • Solicitor
  • Surveyor
  • Teacher / Lecturer (do not use during academic holidays as they must be contactable at their place of work)
  • Trade Union senior official
  • Travel Agent (qualified)
  • Valuer / Auctioneer
  • Vet

Route 2 referees

Route 2 referees are professionals, who know you and can confirm your details against their official records held at their place of work.

Permitted list of referees for Route 2 process (matching details against official records):

  • Your Doctor / Dentist / Nurse / Administrator at Your GP / Dental Surgery
  • Your Teacher / Tutor / Head of Year / Administrator at Your School / College / University
    (do not use during academic holidays as they must be contactable at their place of work)
  • Your Social Worker
  • Your Certified Solicitor
  • A Bank / Building Society staff member at Your branch
  • Your Prison or Probation Officer
  • If you are employed with any of the above Route 2 referees, they can verify your identity from their personnel records
  • If you are employed by a Local Authority, your employer can verify your identity from their personnel records



Copyright © 2017 CitizenCard

Cookie & Privacy Policy

CitizenCard logo


Help Desk Software by Kayako